Saturday, October 11, 2008

Getting ready.

I just wanted to start by thanking you all (especially Ben and Belinda) for reading and showing interest in the $1 challenge. I am SO encouraged that others are considering joining me and as I prepare to embark on this journey tomorrow, I know God has great plans for this little experiment :) I really hope you decide to challenge yourself and I encourage you to pray with me about it! 

I absolutely LOVE that today's devotional is out of John 6. SO APPROPRIATE! (If you couldn't guess, I am way excited for this next week!) If you are not familiar with this particular chapter, this is where Jesus feeds 5 thousand with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish and where Jesus declares He is the bread of life. There are way to many good versus and I don't have the time to type all of them out, but I really feel encouraged. A definite reminder that I will need to rely on Him during the next 7 days! 

OK! Down to the nitty gritty. If you want to do this with me, please feel free to make up your own guidelines if you do not agree with my own personal ones. 
  1. Meals will add up to no more than $1 each day...a combined breakfast, lunch, and dinner total. I will do my best to not skip meals.
  2. Any fresh produce I eat must be home grown (ie from either my own home or from someone in my family's garden) Veggies from the store do not count
  3. Any "free food" must be universally available. No eating when a meal is provided or catered in to the Clinic where I work, no allowing myself to eat out on someone else's expense (ie if someone takes me out to dinner or something along those lines). "Free food" = free sauces, crackers from fast food places etc. Grocery store samples count at local grocery stores (SAMS does not count since they charge a membership fee) 
  4. Everything counts! If I add honey to my oatmeal or something along those lines, Honey counts. Seasonings count into the final total as well as drinks. Koolaid is a good cheapie!
  5. Ramen noodles are only to be used in case of an emergency. (if I have to, eat them once or twice during the 7 days) 
  6. Math for eating: Bread purchased at $1.25 a loaf, 12 servings in a loaf, 24 slices. So 1.25/24=.052 so two slices of bread=$.10
  7. I will do my best to be as diverse as possible in my cooking and eating patterns!
SO! Any questions? Ready to dive in? I am so excited! I was treating myself today in leu of the diet change. I ate yogurt and granola for breakfast, a bowl of cottage cheese, a diet dr. pepper and veggie sandwich for lunch (with skinny cow cheese! MMM), and for dinner...probably something out! Don't worry, dessert will be some fresh low fat fudge! Ben, I know you are already chuckling with my healthy food choices :) Sorry kids, that's how I roll and most people know it! 

No more for a week!!! AHH! This is really going to be a stretch! I will post tomorrow what I have eaten and all the juicy details! Here we go!

Blessings-
Mar




No comments: