Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Living on $1

I wanted to start out by sharing a little of what I wrote this morning in my journal. I was reading John 3 and the following verse really stood out.  

"He must become greater. I must become less." John 3:30

My prayer today is just that, Lord, that I could make you greater and become less, more humble. I ask for your help surrendering myself so that you are all I rely on. So often I worry about how I can handle a situation or solve a problem or even answer questions about life. I find myself worrying about how I will be taken care of or how I can find a way to pay all our bills on time, when in reality, I should be thanking you for all I have and allowing you to provide as you always have! I ask for your help remembering that right now, there is just too much of me in life and not enough of YOU! I ask for your help in humbling myself before you today.  
Brian and I tried eating only modest portions of beans and rice today. The hope was that we could humble ourselves and remember that there are  820 MILLION people in the world who are chronically hungry; 820 MILLION people who are ALWAYS hungry and never receive enough to eat. I read a few months ago that nearly 60% (I believe) of the worlds population survives on rice or rice and beans alone. That's incredible when you really stop to think about it.

Today was hard, lol! Harder than I thought it would be at least. Especially since I am not a master chef and my pinto beans were a little under done (MMM crunchy!) To be 100% honest,  I kind of felt like I was not all in, maybe because I have tried this experinent before.  I spent most of my day in continuous prayer as I worked and then discovered this site. I really believe this was all God cause I don't even know how I got there in the first place!

So. My new mission is t0 try this for one week. Starting Sunday Oct 12, I am going to live off of $1  (food only....cause gas is booty expensive even now). I wish I could do this for the remaining 17 days, but I have to travel for work and they feed us and have already paid for food expenses. Like the previous experimentors, I will post what I ate and approximatly how much the portion costs (in relation to the price of the entire thing..ie 2tbsp peanut butter is like$.16) I think this could be an awesome experience. I wanted to challenge you as well. Do you think you could eat only $1 worth of food a day? By the grace of God, I am going to try and I hope you will consider it!

1 comment:

Ben said...

Nice. Now that's a challenge! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!